Sunday, August 31, 2008

I Googled Labor Day

Jamál (Beauty), 12 Asma (Names), 165 B.E. – Sunday, August 31, 2008 about 6:44 AM Pacific Time

I Googled Labor Day this morning. I was looking for information to poem in an acrostic poem about this holiday. Some of this information I probably learned as a child, but forgot it because I was not interested in writing poems about this specific day.

I found a web site giving The History of Labor Day. This holiday begin in 1882, on Tuesday, September 5, with a celebration in New York City hosted by the Central Labor Union. In 1884, the first Monday in September recieved the officially designation as Labor Day. People referred to it as "the working man's" holiday and became a nation wide celebration sometime between 1884 and 1892.

I have already written two Labor Day poems and posted them one two of my blogs, those poems are The Last Saturday in August and The Last Sunday in August, but neither one of them is an acrostic poem. The reason I want to write an acrostic poem celebrating Labor Day, is because that form spells a word along the left margin using the lines of the poem. This form makes a good poem to use in commemorating holidays.

No comments: