Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Asma (Names) a new month begins

‘Idál (Justice), 1 Asma (Names), 165 B.E. – Wednesday, August 20, 2008 about 6:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time

The beginning of a new month is a good time to refocus on yearly goals. I reevaluate my goals at the end of every nineteen days, which is a little over two weeks. This gives me a chance look either at the goals I have set and determine if they are over ambitious or under ambitious. If a goal is too difficult to reach then it is frustrating and if it is too easy then it does not build muscles. The goal has to be difficult enough that it pushes the individual, but achievable after a reasonable amount of effort.

The interesting thing about "a reasonable amount of effort" is that it is different for each individual. That is why goals must be sit on an individual level and if they are goals sit by a persons work place, then the individual has to find a way to motivate himself or herself to achieve them.

The goals I have set since March 21, 2008 are individual and focused on the spiritual, physical and financial aspects of my life. The way I go about achieving my goals, may seem a little bit odd, but it works for me. I set up a spreadsheet in excel with the goals I want to focus on for a nineteen-day period. I divide the spreadsheet into three sections. One of the sections concerns spiritual goals and another concerns writing goals because I am working on becoming published.

Actually, since I keep blogs and post some of my work in my writing.com port, you could say I am published, but that is not the type of publication I am talking about. I am referring to getting paid cash money (I have always wanted to put that in a blog entry) for my creative efforts, all though, I do earn some money from blog advertising.

Anyway, I set my writing goals based on word count. I read somewhere that a writer needs to write a certain amount of new words everyday. My word count goal is set at between 2,500 and 5,000 words a day. If I achieve the minimum for thirty-eight days in a row, then I reset the goal yet, but I will be raising it within the next two months.

Today, Asma 1, is the beginning of a new evaluation period. After looking at my past goals, I believe I am going to have to make some changes in both the spreadsheet and the questions I ask myself during the evaluation process. Therefore, during Asma I am looking closes at the goals, especially the "excuses" I use when I do not achieve a specific goal, and the things I have to change on the spreadsheet. All this is a part of transformation, to consciously transform into my true self, I have to know both my weakness and perceived limitations.

No comments: