Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Labor Day is coming on Monday, September 1, 2008

Fidál (Grace), 7 Asma (Names), 165 B.E. – Tuesday, August 26, 2008 about 5:47 PM Pacific Time

Since Labor Day is Monday, September 1, 2008, I have been trying to remember how my family celebrated it when I was a child. I can remember Fourth of July celebrations. I can remember Memorial Day trips to decorate graves. I cannot remember any special way we celebrated Labor Day.

I think we might have gone to the lake just outside of Blackwell, Oklahoma, for a picnic. However, since my grandparents took us to that lake almost every weekend. My memories of picnics there could be part of some other trip to The Lake. That is what we called it, which is probably why I cannot remember its name.

I am attempting to write a Labor Day poem this year. I would like to include a childhood memory. I suppose memories of eating hot dogs and watermelon at The Lake could apply to Labor Day weekend, as well as any other weekend. I associate hot dogs and watermelons with Labor Day and the Fourth of July, so perhaps some of those memories are from Labor Day celebrations.

I will be off Labor Day, but I do not think we are going to go on a picnic that day. I am going to United Blood Services to donate blood. Then I am going to come home, do some writing and housework or something like that.

Maybe I could write a poem about giving blood on Labor Day. However, I am not sure how I could incorporate childhood memories of hot dogs and watermelon. I do want to write a poem about donating blood, but that subject just does not seem to go with hot dogs and watermelon. I will have to think about that for a while.

No comments: