Friday, August 22, 2008

I used to think I had patience

Istiqlál (Independence), 3 Asma (Names), 165 B.E. – Friday, August 22, 2008 about 6:42 AM PDT

I used to think I had patience, but that was before I learned how to tab brows with a telephone hook-up to the Internet. Perhaps, I do still have patience when it comes to dealing with people, but not when it comes to dropped Internet connections. All right, this is my own fault if I was not convinced that I needed to tab browse this issue would not confront me.

I do have to tab browse because I sometimes have to consult other websites when I am making a blog entry or doing research. I am a writer and tab browsing is essential to what I do. Take this morning for instance. When I was composing the entry for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff, I had to consult the website Extraterrestrial Highway for some information on State Route 375 in Nevada. I was responding to today's Writing Practice Prompt "You picked up a hitchhiker". My response to the prompt concerned an imagined encounter on that route on Halloween.

The working title for You picked up a hitchhiker is Halloween on the Extraterrestrial Highway. This is a piece of flash fiction and contains about 300 words. I don't think I will add any more to the story because it feels complete the way it is.

To get back to tabbed browsing and my Internet connection, when I tab browse the connection is dropped at irregular intervals. Fortunately, it didn't go out when I was composing the entry or I would be more frustrated then I am. I do save the blog entries at regular intervals when I am composing. The problem is the dropped connection and reconnecting derails my train of thought and I causes me to forget the next sentence or paragraph is was going to write.

Eventually I am going to get DSL, but for now I'm just going to have to exercise my patience. Exercising builds up muscles, so my patience with technology should improve.

No comments: