Friday, July 24, 2009

The Door to Happiness

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
~Helen Keller

Until I read that quote by Helen Keller, I never thought of happiness as being a door. For me happiness was a state of mind, something that occurred when you weren't actually looking for it. I like the picture of happiness as a door because a door is something I can walk through into a new room or a new phase of my life.

I think a person's concept of happiness changes with maturity and wisdom. I know when I was younger the things that made me happy were different then the things that make me happy today. There was a time when I didn't think happiness was a spiritual concept, however that changed. I now realize that happiness has more to do with the condition of my soul then with the material things in my life.

With age and wisdom
the door to happiness became
prayer,
meditation,
a bar of chocolate,
and the scent of roses.

No comments: