Monday, July 20, 2009

Forty years ago today man walked on the moon

Kamál (Perfection), 8 Kalimát (Words), 166 BE – Monday, July 20, 2009 about 6:25 AM Pacific Time

On July 20, 1969, an astronaut left size 91/2 footprints on the moon. I remember watching the moon land on T.V. I remember holding my breath as Astronaut Neil Armstrong descended the lunar module and stepped upon the moon. When Mr. Armstrong placed his foot on the lunar surface, I breathed again.

I remember hearing Neil Armstrong say "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind." I remember crying because my world and the world of everyone had changed that day. The world changed because it became smaller, we (humanity) had gone to the moon. A human being had left is footprints on the moon.

I am now 62 it is forty years later. I am living on a planet in the middle of transformation. I am living in a world that sees the moon landing as an achievement for humanity and not simply as an achievement for the United States, the nation that provided the technology.

Astronauts made it to the moon safely and returned home safely. Humanity will make it through the present crisis, we just have to have faith.

No comments: