Saturday, December 07, 2013

On a Cold and Windy Saturday in December

Jalál (Glory), 15 Qawl (Speech), 170 BE - Saturday, December 7, 2013 about 2:20 pm Pacific Standard Time

On this cold and windy Saturday in December,
the ice cream truck just drove by my house.

I heard the music playing
as he approached
with all his sweet cold treats that
in summer I would buy,
but today
it is too cold for an ice cream cone.

I think I'm getting old because today it's too cold for ice cream. The other day, I stopped at Marie Calender's to purchase a rhubarb pie. After I purchased the pie, I went to the grocery store to get a few necessities. I did not purchase any ice cream (which I normally eat on rhubarb pie) because it's winter and the ice cream with the pie would chill me.

When I was younger it didn't matter how cold it was outside if I wanted ice cream. I can remember eating ice cream on a snowy Christmas Eve because it was my birthday and I liked ice cream with my birthday cake. However, at 66 going on 67 I have stopped eating ice cream in the winter time. Now, when I eat pie or cake in the winter, I put milk on it and warm it in the microwave.

No comments: