Saturday, September 06, 2008

Saturday Morning Trash Issues

Jalál (Glory), 18 Asma (Names), 165 B.E. – Saturday, September 6, 2008 about 6:55 AM Pacific Time

As anyone who has every read any of my blog entries about trash knows, I have issues concerning getting the trash to the curb before the garbage trucks come to empty the cans. I have difficulty lugging the trashcans out early Wednesday and Saturday mornings. I have less problems in summer then I do in winter.

Dawn arrives earlier in summer then in winter. It is easier getting trashcans to the curb before 7:00 AM when the sun is up. This morning I lugged one can to the curb, I have four beat-up aluminum trashcans and the goal is to get, at least, one to the curb on trash day. Next Saturday is recyclable day, so I will focus on getting the recyclables to the curb then the trashcans. We seem to have more recyclables then regular trash anyway.

Maybe it's a good thing to have more recyclables then regular trash, it means we are more aware of the environment. Having more recyclables means a greater awareness of your carbon footprint on the planet. I still have a long way to go when it comes to recycling, but I'm getting there slowly.

When I was growing up, there were no issues about separating your trash into recyclables and non-recyclables. Everything went into the same trashcan and on trash day, which occurred only one day a week, we took everything to either the alley or the curb.

I have to admit, that I enjoy the process of separating trash into recyclables and non-recyclables. Overcoming the desire to take the easy way by throwing everything into a plastic trash bag strengthens a person's will power. It isn't always easy to carry a recyclable item to the garage and put it in a recyclable bin. It's much easier to just put it in a plastic trash bag and take the bag to the garage a the end of the day.

No comments: