Monday, September 08, 2008

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Kamál (Perfection), 1 ‘Izzat (Might), 165 B.E. – Monday, September 8, 2008 about 5:08 AM Pacific Time

I don't know about absence making the heart grow fonder, but I do know it makes a person more appreciative what she does have. Take coffee and coffee filters for instance, I ran out of both a couple of months ago (not at the same time) and couldn't make coffee until I could get more. As a result, I was without coffee for eight or nine days.

This morning, while making a gratitude journal entry, I realized that for the past month one of the things I'm thankful for is having enough coffee and filters to make a fresh pot of coffee each day. Learning to be grateful for what one has is part of the process of transformation and practicing an abundance attitude.

I have kept a gratitude journal for several years now. This year, however, I begin making daily entries on a consistent basis. An entry in my gratitude journal is a daily goal along with blog entries and writing short stories or novels.

My daily gratitude journal entries is a list of ten items or occurrences I'm grateful for on that specific day. Finding ten things each day to be thankful for is sometimes difficult. I picked that number because of a journal group I'm a member of. Every Thursday is Thankful Thursday and each member of the group post ten things he or she is thankful for that day.

No matter how difficult life gets, an individual can always find something to be grateful for. Sometimes a person just has to look harder for those ten items.

No comments: