Friday, September 12, 2008

Sunset Approaches

Istiqlál (Independence), 5 ‘Izzat (Might), 165 B.E. – Friday, September 12, 2008 about 6:03 PM Pacific Time

Sunset approaches
and I think about past and future;
the present is a snow ball
rolling down a mountains slop
picking up speed
as it nears
a bottomless chasm
at the foot of the mountain.

Sunset approaches
another solar day comes to an end;
today becomes yesterday
and merges with all the past yesterdays
that haunt my memory
yesterdays that I would relive
if I could,
yesterdays that I might or might not change
if I could.

Sunset approaches
and I watch the slow transformation
of day light blue to night time black
I realize
that my present self is the result
of all my yesterdays;
I am who I am today
because of decisions I made yesterday
and - even if I could change them -
do I really want to change those decision
and become someone else
who is not my present self?

No comments: