Monday, March 02, 2015

Meditation Monday: Silence, Tranquility, and Music

Kamal (Perfection), 1 ‘Alá’ (Loftiness), 171 BE - Monday, March 2, 2015 about 4:59 pm Pacific Standard Time

Silence encourages meditation and prayer. The house is never noise free, but sometimes the neighbors music stops pounding through the walls and the house becomes tranquil. At these times my mind feels the tranquility that accompanies the absence of modern music. I know that the music I listened to as a teenager and young adult was just as loud and distracting as that played by young adults today. I know that sometimes my parents and grandparents or their friends would shake their heads when I payed my music, but they never said anything to me about it. Therefore, I do not complain about the music I hear my neighbor play.

There are times during the day when I wish my neighbor would pick a different genre of music. I suspect my parents thought the same thing when I payed my music, but they never said anything. I know that my neighbor enjoys his music just as much I enjoyed and still enjoy mine. I accept all kinds of music because it reflects the culture and background of the individual.

As I write this the music has started again. The music is not as loud as before and this is the way the music goes all day. It starts, a song plays, it stops for a bit, and starts again at a lower volume. I think both my neighbor and I need to find jobs that get us out of the house during the day. I know that I need some time away from my apartment and I am sure he does as well.

Some of his music I enjoy listening to, but not all of it. There are some songs that are offensive; however, I am not the one playing the music. If it gets too offensive then I can t take a short walk to the alley. The problem with the offensive music is that it interferes with prayer and meditation. I have a blanket to put over my head so that I can cut down on visual distractions when I meditate. I think I need to purchase earplugs to cut down on auditory distractions.

No comments: