Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Grandmother Canned Fruit and Vegetables

For breakfast today, I had a strawberry preserves sandwich. As I was eating the sandwich, I remembered my grandmother canning vegetables and fruit. Grandma would make jelly out of the fruit and then put the jelly into clear jars. The vegetables she would peel, cook and then put into clear jars.

After canning the food, she would store the jars in a root cellar. I always liked to go down to the cellar and look at the jars of food. The food always looked colorful and beautiful. I couldn't wait for Grandma or Mom to open the jars so I could enjoy their contents. When winter came and we needed fruit or vegetables for a meal, then either Grandma or Mom would go down to the cellar and get a jar of vegetables or fruit.

Windows into love
jars of food in the cellar
winter's survival.

No comments: