Friday, May 08, 2009

I’m back and with a full set of dentures

Istiqlál (Independence), 11 Jamál (Beauty), 166 BE – Friday, May 8, 2009 about 5:03 PM Pacific Time

Yesterday, Thursday, May 7, the dentist extracted the other four teeth in my lower jaw and put the rest of my dentures in my mouth. I described part of the experience in More Snow Melt my writing.com blog. The title of the entry is be careful what you wish for. So if you want to read it go ahead, be aware that the rating of that particular blog has a rating of 18+.

I have a full set of dentures, which I will get used to over the next few days. Today the dentist said to wear them two hours and then extend them by an hour each day. That's all right with me, since eating is a bit of a problem right now. My gums are healing and I can't use anything to hold the dentures in until the gums are healed.

Today I'm eating unsweetened applesauce, which I'm not crazy about. However, that is what I took out of the cupboard. Since Mom can't eat applesauce at all, I'm going to have to eat all that we have in the house, which is a lot. I think later I will a eat another can of applesauce, but mix it with yogurt. I like yogurt and it ought to give an interesting flavor to the applesauce. Of course, after my gums heal I may never want to eat applesauce again, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

I'm also rinsing my mouth with warm salt water about five times a day. The salt water helps the gums to heal and I'm looking forward to the gums healing. After my gums are healed then the dentist will line them. At that time, Mom and I are going out for prime rib with raw horseradish sauce. The raw horseradish is for me, Mom eats the other kind.

Unfortunately, my gums won't be healed by Mothers' Day, so the only thing I'm eating when we go out is an ice cream desert. I doubt that I could handle much else since my lower plate wants to move in my mouth. Fortunately, I can still drink coffee.

No comments: