Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hanging out cloths on a windy day

Fidál (Grace), 3 ‘Azamat (Grandeur), 166 BE – Tuesday, May 19, 2009 about 3:00 PM Pacific Time

I remember helping my Grandmother hang out cloths when I was a child. I'm not sure how good a job I did, but Grandma let me help her hang cloths out on laundry day. Now that I'm older and hanging cloths on the line again, I find that I enjoy it.

Today I washed sheets and hung them out on the line. I looked out the kitchen window and watched the sheet blow in the wind. They were beautiful blowing and the hexagon line moving around. The wind isn't blowing extremely hard, but it's blowing hard enough to to cause the line to turn as the sheets blow.

My Grandmother's cloths line (that sounds like a title for a poem) was strung between two stationary polls. The hexagon line I use is capable of moving so that I don't have to walk from one end to the other when I hang up cloths. I can hang cloths on one line and then turn it so that I have an empty line to hang more cloths on.

I haven't been doing very many loads of cloths in a single day, but I think tomorrow I'm going to start doing more then a couple of loads a day. I need to catch up on laundry, so that I can just do it once or twice a week. Grandma did laundry once a week for five or six people and we had enough cloths to last. I've got enough line space to do laundry once a week and there are only two people in the household.

The cloths seem to dry quicker on the line then they did in the dryer. I'm not sure why, perhaps it has something to do with hanging things out in the sun to dry. The only problem I seem to have is the towels aren't as soft a I'd like them, but I think that's because I need to buy new towels.

No comments: