Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Day of Beauty

Jamál (Beauty), 14 ‘Alá (Loftiness), 165 BE – Sunday, March 15, 2009 about 11:46 AM Pacific Time

Sunday beauty's day
revealing the Lord's glory
to humanity.

I remember my grandmother reading to me on Sunday. I remember grandma reading the bible, storybooks and poems to me. I don't think she every read a haiku, I'm not sure grandma ever knew the different forms poets use to write poems.

When I was a child, my grandmother didn't talk to me about many things. Some of the subjects were those she wouldn't talk about with a child. Some of subjects weren't discussed because I never thought to bring up the question and poetry forms was one of these.

Actually, I didn't realize there were so many different poetry forms until I started editing my poems. Once I begin the process of rewriting and perfecting the poem, I discovered a variety of forms. I use as many of the forms I can to write poems, but one of the forms I like best is the haiku. I suspect my grandmother would have liked it as well.

1 comment:

nothingpetty said...

Haiku structure forces a concise image that somehow is always more than it seems.