Thursday, March 19, 2009

Today my mother is 88 years old

Istijlál (Majesty), 18 ‘Alá (Loftiness), 165 BE – Thursday, March 19, 2009 about 3:17 PM Pacific Time

Today my mother is 88 years old. Mom was born in 1921 on a farm in Oklahoma. Mom was an only child, but she did have cousins to play with with she was growing up. Mom worked all her life most of the time as a waitress. I worry about Mom and Mom gets upset when she realizes I worry about her.

Recently Mom had a cataract removed from her right eye. She can't bend over below the waist until after her next eye doctor's appointment, which is in April. Mom is going to have another out patient procedure the end of this month. She is going to have a blocked tear duct opened.

Since 2007, Mom has been in and out of the hospital, as well as various out patient procedures. Mom's biggest concern now is that she can't bend over below the waist and it prevents her from doing some of the housework. Mom doesn't like not being able to sweep and mop, but the jobs will get done; perhaps not as fast as if we were both working at them, but they'll get done.

Today Mom and I went out to eat for her birthday. Mom likes eating out, going to movies and to poetry readings. We will start going back to the poetry readings in April. Next Tuesday I have my bottom teeth pulled and the rest of my dentures put in, so that will keep us home most of the day. Mom doesn't drive anymore so when we go anywhere, I'm the one doing the driving.

No comments: