Sunday, January 25, 2015

Spiritual Sunday: Why do I title Sunday entries Spiritual Sunday?

Jamal (Beauty), 7 Sulṭán (Sovereignty), 171 BE - Sunday, January 25, 2015 about 11:06 am Pacific Standard Time

Spiritual Sunday is a leftover from my childhood. Every Sunday Grandma Mary and Grandpa Frank would take us to church where we attended Sunday School. The church my grandparents attended was the First Southern Baptist Mission located in the Smelter Heights in Blackwell, Oklahoma. Every Sunday morning we would put on our best clothes, usually the new Easter dresses Mom or Grandpa bought us, and go to church.

At church we would listen to the preacher, singing in the choir, and attend Sunday school classes. In the classes we would learn Bible verses and hear stories take from the King James version of the Bible. Perhaps this is why today I prefer to read the King James version or translation of the Christian scriptures. In the Sunday school classes I remember memorizing the Lord's Prayer and Psalm 23. I am sure we learned other scripture verses, but those are the only ones I remember today.

As I grew up, I began to realize that the spiritual feeling I got from "going to church" should be carried over the other six days of the week. I also began to realize that this did not always happen. Sometimes I did not feel the Sunday spirit carried over to the other six days. Sometimes I witnessed the way the people in church acted when they were not attending church services. As I grew up I began to understand that neither of these things should have an effect on the way I live my life. That I should live my live, no matter how other people live their lives, according to the scriptures, which meant treating everyone equally and as member of my family.

I will continue to title Sunday entries Spiritual Sunday. Sometimes the entries will be meditations on scripture verses from various scriptures. Sometimes I will write a prayer or supplication in the form of a poem or prose entry. Sometimes I will write about something that I encountered during the week which caused me to think about a scripture verse.

No comments: