Friday, January 23, 2015

Foodie Friday: Eating healthy on a fixed income

Istiqlal (Independence), 5 Sulṭán (Sovereignty), 171 BE - Friday, January 23, 2015 about 8:43 am Pacific Standard Time

It is difficult to eat healthy on a fixed income. It is difficult to follow a special diet when you get most of your food from food banks which give you a lot of canned goods. One of my doctors put me on a low phosphorus, low protein, and low potassium diet. Most canned goods list only the protein content, while a few cans list the potassium content. I have not found any that list the phosphorus content. This means that I have to search food websites to see what the phosphorus content might be, if that ingredient list on the ingredient labels on the website.

I have three handouts, which my doctor gave me, listing some of the foods that contain the forbidden ingredients. The problem is that some foods can be low in phosphorus and high in potassium. This makes choosing healthy foods even more difficult then it already is. Sometimes I get very frustrated when it comes to figuring out the contents and then making the portions small enough so that I can eat the food. The good thing about labels is that they list the serving in a can and also how many cups a serving contains. This means that I can cut down the serving size to an amount that my body can handle. At least I can if the amount of phosphorus, protein, and potassium are listed on the label. If the amount of those ingredients are not listed then I have to pray that the food either does not contain the forbidden ingredient or that the amount is so small my body can handle it.

On a positive note, since I do live on a fixed income I can get a food stamp card. This allows me to purchase fresh fruits and vegetable which are listed on my diet. Because some of items are more expensive then others, I still have to watch what I spend. Since I am 68 and living alone, I purchase the fresh frozen vegetables as much as possible. This allows me to measure the serving sizes and gives me a larger variety of vegetables to use in my recipes. If I had children or a spouse and was living on a fixed income I do not know how I would handle it.

No comments: