Saturday, July 03, 2010

My Mother ate my bagel

Jalál (Glory), 10 Rahmat (Mercy), 167 BE – Saturday, July 3, 2010 about 2:11 PM Pacific Time

My Mother at my bagel, which is not as funny as it may sound or perhaps it is. It is my own fault for leaving my bagel unguarded. Mom has Alzheimer’s disease, so her short-term memory is not good. I fixed us bagels for breakfast; I put peanut butter on her bagel and margarine on mine. I then served Mom her breakfast, before going into another room without my bagel. When I returned to the kitchen Mom had picked up my bagel thinking, it belonged to her.

It is not a good idea to inform an Alzheimer’s sufferer that the bagel she just picked up is not her breakfast. The best response is to take a deep breath and fix something else to eat. I am not sure what I had for breakfast, probably some leftovers. I did learn one thing though and that is to take my food with me when I leave the kitchen.

The bagel is no big deal; however, cereal could be a problem. Mom is on a low fiber diet and I am on a high fiber diet. Mom cannot have cereal with more then two grams of dietary fiber and my cereal has over six grams. As you can imagine, if Mom ate my cereal it could cause some messy issues.

No comments: