Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hot soup on a chilly day

Jamál (Beauty), 16 Mashiyyat (Will), 165 B.E. – Sunday, October 12, 2008 about 5:58 PM Pacific Time

It's a chilly autumn day
and the sun is approaching the mountains in the west
we ate hot soup for lunch and dinner.

I made soup today. I made it as close to homemade and from scratch as I can come any more. I opened three or four different cans of soup and put them in the slow cooker. Then I opened a can of cut spinach. I then turned the cooker on and let the ingredients heat together. I enjoyed it and Mom enjoyed it.

This time I used chicken noodle soup, chicken rice soup, potato soup, tomato soup and spinach. I think next time I'll use tomato soup and one of the dry soup mixes I have in the cupboard. Then I'll add some peas and corn or maybe some green beans. I like making soup this way because it doesn't take it that long to heat in the cooker. If I put it on in the morning, then it's done by noon and we have soup the rest of the day.

I still have some leftovers in the fridge, so perhaps tomorrow I'll warm them over with the soup that's left. It should give the soup a interesting flavor. The leftovers consist of macaroni and cheese with enchilada sauce and a package of taco seasoning or something similar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soup is the perfect food as an analogy for life, don't you think? You take all the "castaway" ingredients that are not worthy of the Lord of the Manor, and you simmer them until they give up their flavor and nutrients and become as tender as the best cuts of meat. And somehow you end up with something that tastes as good as anything enjoyed by kings and queens.