Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Cloudy Autumn Morning

Jalál (Glory), 3 Ilm (Knowledge), 165 B.E. – Saturday, October 18, 2008 about 10:05 AM Pacific Time

It's a cloudy Autumn morning in Las Vegas. The sky is a patchwork of ash gray-white clouds and blue. It almost reminds me of Oklahoma. I haven't been outside yet, so I don't know what the temperature is or what the air feels like out there. Inside it's chilly and we're having soup again today.

My grandmother always made soup on chilly and cloudy Autumn days. She made soup from scratch. I make soup by opening cans and using soup mixes. I do mix different types of soup together, so I guess that is sort of making it from scratch. It's creative anyway. I make what I call Hobo Soup, which is mixing different cans or leftovers together.

Today we're having the soup that was leftover from yesterday. After the soup is hot, I'm going to open other cans of soup or veggies. Sometimes I make Hobo Stew, which is similar to Hobo Soup except it has more meat in it then veggies. Today I think I'll check in the freezer and see what type of meat we have frozen. I'll take it down and let it defrost in the fridge tonight, then tomorrow make Hobo Stew.

I don't remember my grandmother making Hobo Soup or Stew, she did put leftovers in her soup sometimes. However, she didn't have a specific name for it and she didn't use leftovers in soup very often.

No comments: