Monday, July 14, 2008

My Grandmother made whipped cream from scratch

Kamál (Perfection), 2 Kalimat (Words), 165 BE – Monday, July 14, 2008 about 6:14 AM PDT

I attended the Feast of Kalimat (Words) yesterday at 7:00 PM. The lady who served refreshments made cake and whipped cream from scratch. I watched her pour the heavy cream into a bowl and then put in vanilla and sugar. After that she took out an electric hand mixer, plugged it in and whipped the cream. When the cream was whipped, we put it on a cake she made from scratch.

This brought back memories of my Grandma Newland, who made whipped cream from scratch. To this day, I can remember Grandma making whipped cream. She did not use an electric mixer though (at least, not in the memories I have). Grandma used an old fashion hand mixer and turned a handle by hand to whip the cream.

I could probably make whipped cream, if I had the proper equipment. Actually, I may have an old fashion hand mixer in a drawer in the kitchen I will have to check. I know I do not have an electric mixer, at least I do not think I do. I have not seen an electric mixer in this house since we moved in. If we have one, I have put it away where I cannot find it.

An electric hand mixer would be nice; when I make cakes, I use a mix and bake the cake in a Microwave oven. All right, my grandmother might find it odd, but on the other hand she could just as easily attempt it.

Grandma used all the modern connivances she could get. My grandfather would buy her anything she wanted. He would buy her modern connivances even when she did not ask for them. Grandpa always wanted the latest technology and gadgets.

No comments: