Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I eat brown eggs for supper

Fidál (Grace), 3 Kalimat (Words), 165 BE – Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:54 PM PDT

I picked up my senior food allotment today. Among other things I got a package of brown eggs. It's been a long time since I had brown eggs. When I go to the store and buy eggs for myself, I usually get the ordinary white eggs. It isn't that I like those eggs better, it's just that I pick up the first package of eggs for the least cost that I see and they are usually white eggs. I have to look through the dairy case to find the brown eggs because they are not at eye level.

I don't know that the brown eggs taste any different from the white eggs, they don't look any different on the inside. I don't know if the brown eggs are better for me then the white eggs, I haven't investigated that. I'll have to look into that and see, but I doubt that there is all that much difference in the nutritional value of brown eggs over white eggs.

What I do know, is that my grandmother had a chicken that laid brown eggs. My grandmother raised chickens and we had fresh eggs everyday for breakfast when I was growing up. I don't eat eggs for breakfast anymore. I prefer my eggs for lunch or dinner, unless I go to a restaurant for breakfast and then I order bacon and/or sausage with my eggs. I think the next time I buy eggs in the grocery store I'm going to look a little harder for the brown eggs because eating them brings back memories of my grandparent.

It's amazing what a person learns about herself as she grow older and wiser, but then that's part of what transformation is about. We learn about ourselves and then we attempt to change our bad habits. Sort of like buying eggs in the grocery store, you have to look higher on the dairy shelf for the brown eggs.

No comments: