Friday, February 10, 2012

Family History Friday: Grocery Shopping with my Grandparents

I remember going grocery shopping with Grandma and Grandpa. My grandparents went grocery shopping once a week. On Friday, Grandma would make the shopping list and then on Saturday, when Grandpa was off, they would go to the “grocery store”.

On Saturday, morning Grandma would get up and make breakfast. After breakfast, she and Grandpa would go grocery shopping. They always went to Safeway in Blackwell, Oklahoma. I can’t remember for sure, but I think Safeway was the only grocery store in Blackwell at that time. There was another privately owned market in Blackwell, but Safeway (I think) was the only supermarket in town.

When they arrived at the grocery store, Grandpa would push the shopping cart while Grandma picked the items from the shelves and put them into the cart. They would start at one side of the store and go up and down every isle until they had bought every item on Grandma’s shopping list. Since Grandma always wrote a complete list, they didn’t have to buy anything that wasn’t on the list.

The only exception my grandparents ever made was when one or more of their grandchildren went with them. Grandpa always bought something for the kids, even if it wasn’t on the list.

No comments: