Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Midweek Reflections on Winter in Las Vegas

Winter is almost over. Tomorrow, February 2, is Groundhog Day and we will find out if spring is “right around the corner”. It has been a mild winter in Las Vegas. The temperature drop to zero during the first two weeks of December 2011. I think that Mount Charleston had a little bit of snow, but not much.

The first day of spring is March 21. After that, I can wash the winter blankets. I can also start looking for someone to pull the weeds in my yard. Because of the mild winter, the weeds need pulling or cutting right now. This year, I may have to cut them myself, especially the ones in front of the house. Those are tall enough to attract bees and other insects.

I saw a few small bees yesterday flying among the weeds in the front yard. The weeds in front of the living room window are almost tall enough for me to see them when I am inside the house. I will have to begin cutting them down after February 14 or 15. I need to get a pair of gardening gloves before attempting any weeding.

This coming Monday, February 6, I am going in for outpatient surgery on the veins in my left leg. I give the leg about a week to heal and then I have to begin cutting the weeds. It would be nice to have someone else do it, but that is out of the question because I have to save money for tree removal.

No comments: