Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Rice in the slow cooker

Jamál (Beauty), 6 Mulk (Dominion), 168 BE – Sunday, February 12, 2012 about 11:55 AM Pacific Time

I am fixing rice in the slow cooker today. The first thing I do before cooking the rice is to put water in the Brita filter pitcher. When the water filters through, I use a 1-quart glass-measuring cup to make sure I have enough water in the cooker to make sure I have enough water to cook the rice. I pour the water into the slow cooker and then turn it on. I let the water get hot before putting the rice in to cook. After the water is hot, I pour a package of rice and let it cook.

Since I am not using the rice as a breakfast food this week, I flavor the rice with shrimp bullion cubes. Once the rice finishes cooking, I will divide it into two microwavable safe casserole dishes. One of the dishes, I will mix with canned vegetables and chicken to make a main dish. The rice in the other casserole dish I will remain shrimp flavored rice for now. Tomorrow I will either freeze it for use as a side dish later or mix a can of beans with it before putting it in the freezer.

I have to check to see how many cans of beans are in the pantry. I also have to see what types of canned beans I have. I know I have green beans in the pantry, but I do not want to mix the rice with green beans, because I may want to use green beans as part of the main dish containing the chicken and vegetables.

No comments: