Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Who is God?

4 Sharaf 164 B.E. - Wednesday, January 2, 2008 about 9:16 PM PST

I'm cleaning out the folders in one of my e-mail box and a discovered this intriguing article 'Who is God' tops Internet Searches. This isn't a question I've asked in a long time because I've found the answer to it in the Baha'i writing. God is an unknowable essence, which is made know to humanity through the appearance of revealers of the divine essence. These revealers, men like Baha'u'llah, the Bab, Muhammad, Christ, Buddha, etc., have appeared at intervals throughout history and revealed verses of scripture.

The article isn't very long, but it does show that there is a lot of interest out there concerning spiritual subjects. I like reading the verses of scriptures revealed by all the founders of the various religions. There is a common thread that runs through all the religions and this is the Golden Rule. Each religion states the rule in a slightly different way, but it means the same thing no matter how it is phrased.

When I was growing up my we went to church every Sunday. My grandmother would always go with us. My grandfather would take us all to church, but he didn't always stay for the services. Grandpa always made sure he attended Easter and Christmas services even if he didn't attend many of the others.

The interesting thing Grandpa, was that he was a spiritual man even though church wasn't always a part of that spirituality. Grandpa never worried about where he was going after he died. Another thing Grandpa didn't do was tell people about his religion or concept of God. He did share the information, but he never told. In addition he listened to what other people had to say about their religion.

No comments: