Monday, January 07, 2008

Remembering Winter in Oklahoma

Fidal (Grace), 9 Sharaf (Honor) 164 B.E. - Monday, January 7, 2008 about 5:24 PM PST

I'm remembering winter in Oklahoma. Specifically the years when the snow was so deep we had difficulty opening the doors. The backdoor to my grandparent's house had a screen door that opened out. I remember snow so deep that when we tried to open the screen door it wouldn't open. In order to get the door open, my grandfather went out either the front door or a window (I can't remember which) and shoveled the snow away from the door so we could get to the garage and the chicken house.

About midday, the snow shovels would get to our street and clear one lane of traffic. Not that there was anywhere to go because snow that deep meant school was closed. Snow days were always nice, because we could stay home and play in the snow. Children seem to handle snow differently than adults they don't seem to get as cold or perhaps it's just that children know how to play and ignore the cold.

I wrote a poem in another blog about the difference between the experience of winter as a child and the way I experience it now. That poem is called The Experience of Winter.

No comments: