Saturday, January 03, 2009

I Remember Standing in the Doorway of my Grandparent’s house

Jalál (Glory), 4 Sharaf (Honor), 165 BE – Saturday, January 3, 2009 about 10:11 AM Pacific Time

I remember standing in the doorway of my Grandparent's house, in Blackwell, Oklahoma, and watching the snow fall. It wasn't the first snow I had ever witnessed because at the time I must have been six or seven years old. It wasn't the first snow of that year either, because my Grandma Newland was going to make snow ice cream and Grandma didn't make that until after the second or third snowfall of the year.

I remember I was standing in kitchen door and I heard a cabinet door opening. I turned to see what was going on and Grandma was taking a stone mixing bowl out of the cupboard. Next, she opened the drawer with the mixing spoons and removed a large wooden spoon. After that, she got the vanilla flavoring down and took measuring spoons out of another drawer.

My Grandpa then took the stone mixing bowl and went outside. He went around the house to the front yard. There he filled the mixing bow with snow and brought it back into the house. Grandma took the bowl from him, measured a teaspoon of vanilla, put it into the bowl and mixed the flavoring into the snow. Grandma then took cereal bowls out of the cupboard and filled them with the snow ice cream. This was my favorite winter treat.

No comments: