Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Historic Day draws to an end

Fidál (Grace), 2 Sultán (Sovereignty), 165 BE – Tuesday, January 20, 2009 about 4:47 PM Pacific Time

The sun is setting and turning the western clouds light pink. It is the end of an historic day for America. A new president was sworn in today and a new era for the United States of America began.

I watched the inaugural ceremony on TV. The ceremony was beautiful and well planned, as are all inauguration ceremonies. The crowd watching the ceremony was much larger then any I have ever witnessed.

I give thanks that I lived to witness an African-American become president of the United States. I am 62 years old and remember the freedom marches. Growing up I watched the TV news and saw the stories on TV. I have witnessed history. I have lived through history.

I'm not sure what else to write. I suppose I could compare the American culture today with the way it was when I was growing up. However, I don't think I'm going to do that in this entry. Most of us over 50 know how the culture has changed. Those who are younger need to ask their elders about the difference.

Now America needs to get behind the President Obama and show our support. America is a nation composed of people from many different backgrounds. We need to show respect for every person in this country and the world. We need to be tolerant of the differences, while finding the similarities. We have to remember that we are all one family, the family of humanity.

No comments: