Sunday, January 04, 2009

I remember Sunday afternoon with my Grandparents

Jamál (Beauty), 5 Sharaf (Honor), 165 BE – Sunday, January 4, 2009 about 7:14 AM Pacific Time

It is January. It is winter. I am remembering a Sunday afternoon in summer that I spent with my Grandparents. It was a Fourth of July holiday and we were waiting for sunset to "set off the fireworks". We were staying at the lot they rented on Lake Blackwell for the night. Grandma and Grandpa had a "trailer house" (most people call them mobile homes anymore) on that lot.

I remember the mobile home had a bathroom, but when we used the toilet, we had to go to a wooden outhouse. I think we could take a cold shower in the bathroom, but I am not sure about that because I was a child and the events occurred a long time ago. I remember the outhouse because there were spider webs in it and I was afraid of spiders.

As I said, it was a Fourth of July holiday and we were waiting for Sunset. My siblings and I were setting off firecrackers. In addition, Grandpa took us in his motor boat for a ride up and down the lake. Grandpa water-skied that day as well, but the real excitement would come after sunset when we set off the "real" fireworks.

Waiting for sunset
we passed time lighting
firecrackers and skiing.

I am working on a group of poems about my childhood and my grandparents. I also think I will write a poem about the outhouse. Most places have indoor plumbing anymore and outhouses are things of the past. I think we need to remember them.

The wooden outhouse
had spiders and smelled
the spiders made me nervous.

No comments: