Friday, February 01, 2008

My Grandmother Recycled

Istiqlal (Independence), 14 Sultan (Sovereignty), 164 B.E. - Friday, February 1, 2008 about 12:43 PM PST

My Grandmother recycled
before it became fashionable,
she was raised on a farm
in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centaury
so everything that was usable
had to be used and reused.

She made patchwork quilts
from leftover material and pieces of dresses,
she used worn out underwear for cleaning rags
and dust cloths.

Grandma recycled everything possible
glass jelly jars were used as juice glasses
in larger glass jars with lids
she would put bacon grease or chicken stock
and place them in the fridge for later use in
gravy and stew.

And now I follow in her footsteps,
but I do it my way
by selling aluminum cans for gas money
or to pay the Internet bill.

No comments: