Monday, February 11, 2008

My Grandfather and the Price of Gas

Kamal (Perfection), 5 Mulk 164 B.E. - Monday, February 11, 2008 about 3:50 PM PST

I paid $2.86 per gallon yesterday when I bought gas, at a self-service with a mini-mart. It got me to thinking about Grandpa Newland. My grandfather griped when gas prices rose 2 or 3 cents. He would really gripe at the prices today, especially since he would fill his tank himself. When Grandpa bought gas there were only full service stations, which meant that an attendant filled the tank and checked the fluids. However, my grandfather could fill the tank himself, but with an attendant, I don't think he ever thought of filling the tank himself.

I can't remember Grandpa changing his own oil, but he did check it himself. Which reminds me, I have to check the oil in the car tomorrow morning when I get home or while I'm parked somewhere waiting I check my own oil (Grandpa would be proud of me) and put it in if its needed. I don't check the transmission fluid or the brake fluid, I stop at a fill service for that about once a month or so.

Actually, there was a time when I never thought about checking the oil myself, but times and people change. There was a time when I never thought about getting gas anywhere but a full service station. I don't mind filling the tank myself or I wouldn't if I ever put more then $20 of gas in the tank. Grandpa would really gripe at spending $20 on gas and not getting a full tank. Lately all $20 gets is about half to three-quarters of a tank. Yesterday I put only $2.86 in the tank which bought me a gallon of gas.

No comments: