Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Changes in my Life: Watching the Summer Olympics


Fidál (Grace), 19 Kalimát (Words), 169 BE – Tuesday, July 31, 2012 about 6:10 PM Pacific Time

Many things have changed in my life since the last summer Olympics. Mom has Alzheimer’s disease and does not want to watch the Olympic Games with me. At least, I think the issue is the Alzheimer’s disease. I always enjoyed watching the Olympic Games with Mom and Mom used to enjoy watching me.

I have not watched the Olympic Games much this year. I did not watch the opening ceremonies and when Mom watched with me, we always sit on the couch and watch the opening ceremonies. The few competitions I have watched I do not enjoy the way I used to when Mom watched them with me. I will attempt watching them again on Wednesday, but it just is not the same. I miss watching them with Mom.

This experience got me to thinking about some of the things Mom and I used to do together. I missed the things Mom and I enjoyed, but I am not sure I want to do them without her. I know the reason Mom acts the way she does. I know that she will only get worse and I want to cry because I miss the woman that my mother used to be. Maybe I need to focus more on the things Mom enjoys now. Maybe I need to find activities that I can enjoy by myself.

No comments: