Tuesday, July 03, 2012

I Remember Life without a cell phone and now I am never without one


Fidál (Grace), 10 Rahmat (Mercy), 169 BE – Tuesday, July 3, 2012 about 7:15 PM Pacific Time

I remember life without a cell phone. I had a watch that I wound everyday. I used an alarm clock to wake me up. I had to wait until I was home to make a phone call or check my voice mail. I remember life without a cell phone, but now I cannot live without one.

I carry my phone with me wherever I go. At home, I wear a dress with a pocket so that I can answer it immediately. Even when I go to get Mom up of a morning, I have my cell phone with me. This is a good thing because if Mom should slip to the floor (I put a “gate” belt around he waist) when I am transferring her from the bed to the wheelchair, I can call the non-emergency number and get paramedics to lift her off the floor.

I even take my cell phone to bed with me. Most of the time I put it on the nightstand near the bed, but not always. Sometimes I wake up and find the cell phone in my right hand because I wake up in the middle of the night and reach for the phone to see what time it is. If I have a dream, then I write the dream in a journal and place the time I woke up at the bottom of the entry. I guess when I lay back down; I don’t put the phone back on the nightstand.

At other times, I hear Mom crying. Then I pick up the cell phone and take it with me when I go to see why she is crying. I never go into Mom’s room without taking the cell phone with me because I may need it to call the hospice that provides in home care, the non-emergency number if I need help getting Mom into bed or the emergency number in case I encounter an intruder. In this case, when I get back to bed, I’m just too tired to put the phone back on the nightstand.

No comments: