Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I Remember: Memorial Day Memories


Fidál (Grace), 6 ‘Azamat (Grandeur), 169 BE – Tuesday, May 22, 2012 about 6:30 PM

I remember commemorating Memorial Day on May 30 instead of the last Monday in May.

I remember buying red poppies from Veterans a few days before Memorial Day.

I remember going with my Grandparents to visit the graves of Veterans on Memorial Day.

I remember my Grandmother making crepe paper flowers to put on the graves we visited on Memorial Day.

I remember helping Grandma pack our picnic lunch and snacks to take with us when we visited the graves on Memorial Day.

I remember my Grandma referring to Memorial Day as Decoration Day.

I remember visiting small graveyards without any nearby towns on Memorial Day.

I remember Memorial Day...

This year Memorial Day weekend begins on Saturday, May 26 and we commemorate Memorial Day on Monday, May 28. Pause and say a prayer for the departed or for America or both.

No comments: