Sunday, March 11, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Old spices versus new spices


Jamál (Beauty), 10 ‘Alá (Loftiness), 168 BE – Sunday, March 11, 2012 about 11:40 AM Pacific Time

I need to restock the spices in my pantry. I cleaned out the cupboard, which contain the spices and found several containers half full different spices. I cleaned that cupboard out sometime in 2010 or 2011, I cannot remember exact year. I set the container on the kitchen counter next to the cook top.

I moved them because they were not easily accessible and I did not know the spices I already had on hand. They have sat in the heat and light since I moved them and that is not how they are supposed to be stored. I know they were sitting in the original cupboard for more then six months.

I know spices lose potency as the age and that certain of the seeds become rancid. As much as I dislike throwing the spices, I have out, they have probably lost their potency and the recipe would not taste the way it should. Therefore, I have to throw them out and get fresh spices.  When I buy the new spices, I will get the smallest container available. That way I will use them quickly and they will not sit in my pantry for months or years.

No comments: