Friday, March 16, 2012

Family History: Memories of St. Patrick’s Day


Istiqlál (Independence), 15 ‘Alá (Loftiness), 168 BE – Friday, March 16, 2012 about 5:55 PM Pacific Time

I don’t have a many childhood memories of St. Patrick’s Day. I was raised Southern Baptist, so we never celebrated St. Patrick’s Day at home. When I was growing up, on St. Patrick’s Day I always made sure I wore green to school. The reason for this was simple; I didn’t want to get pinched. If you didn’t wear green someone pinched you and once the pinching started it never stopped, except maybe in the classroom.

Another interesting occurrence on St. Patrick’s Day was cupcakes with green frosting. I remember someone’s mother making these cupcakes and sending them to the class, but I don’t remember if it were because a classmate had a birthday on St. Patrick’s Day or they were sent to celebrate the day. I liked the chocolate cupcakes with green frosting myself.

Childhood memories are interesting. Sometimes they are just snippets of what happened. Sometimes they are pleasant memories and sometimes unpleasant. In the case of St. Patrick’s Day, it is a mixture. The pinching was definitely an unpleasant experience, but the chocolate cupcakes with green frosting were pleasant. Those are my memories of St. Patrick’s Day; I hope everyone has a pinch free St. Patrick’s Day this year.

No comments: