Sunday, March 18, 2012

My Mother’s birthday is Tomorrow


Jamál (Beauty), 17 ‘Alá (Loftiness), 168 BE – Sunday, March 18, 2012 About 4:30 PM Pacific Time

On March 19, 2012, my mother turns 91. In the morning, Mom will go to the Adult Daycare center. She will return home around 4:00 PM. Mom and I have not discussed her birthday because I am not sure how to bring up the subject.

When we do discuss Mom’s age, which is not very often, she does not think she is 90 years old. I have no idea how old Mom thinks she is and I prefer not to discuss age with her. Mom used to enjoy her birthdays and she always acknowledged her age.

Before the Alzheimer’s disease, Mom did not let age bother her. I learned from my mother that age was just a number and something you accepted. I learned to celebrate the passing years from my mother’s actions on her birthdays.

Now she does not remember how old she is and when we discuss her age she gets angry when I mention her true age, so I do not mention it any more. Mom used to talk about living to be 100 years old, now she does not bring up birthdays or age. I do not think Mom realizes I am 65.

The Alzheimer’s disease has caused a great deal of changes in our lives. I miss Mom being enthusiastic about up coming birthdays because she always said what she wanted and enjoyed celebrating her day.


No comments: