Thursday, May 08, 2008

Stressing over a Mothers' Day gift

Istijlál (Majesty), 11 Jamál (Beauty), 165 B.E. – Thursday, May 8, 2008 about 7:17 PM PDT

Why do I do this every time I want to get my mother a gift for Mothers' Day or her birthday? Mom is happy with whatever I get her or wherever I take her. I shouldn't stress over the gift, but I do every year. This year is special because my mother survived her operation and illness of last year. This year is special because we didn't celebrate Mothers' Day last year. At least, I don't remember celebrating the day.

Last year was stressful and this year less stressful. I don't know what to get or do for my mother on Mothers' Day. I've though of writing a poem, but I can't seem to come up with anything that I like. All right, I admit that I can be critical of my own work sometimes. However, a Mothers' Day poem written specifically for my mother is very special. The closes I can come to anything right now is this

You Beat the Odds

Born
on a farm in Oklahoma,
the doctor came to your house in a Model T
he thought you would not live to see
the morning,
but you beat the odds
and survived.

That's about as far as I've gotten on the poem. Perhaps I'll mention how she beat the odds again last year. The doctor who operated on her didn't expect her to survive, but she out witted the medical profession again. I think I'll get a blank book for her to write her memories in and put the poem on the first page.

No comments: