Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Memorial Day Approaches

‘Idál (Justice), 17 Jamál (Beauty), 165 B.E. – Wednesday, May 14, 2008 about 7:45 PM PDT

Memorial Day approaches. It is commemorated on Monday, May 26, rather then on the traditional May 30. I still think of Memorial Day falling on May 30, but since everyone has to have a three day week end it is celebrated on a Monday this year.

I will get Memorial Day off, but that is beside the point. I still think of it in the traditional manner. I miss Memorial Day being celebrated on May 30. I doubt that we go out of town. Gas prices are getting close to $4.00 and it would not surprise me if they reached that on Memorial Day weekend.

How am I going to celebrate Memorial Day this year? I have no idea. I think I will do a little research on the history of that day and write a blog entry. Normally I celebrate with a poem, but this year perhaps a flash fiction story is more appropriate. I am not sure yet.

I miss celebrating Memorial Day the way my grandparents commemorated it. I remember grandma making paper flowers to put on the graves. There were family graves all over Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. I have a few days to consider and see if I can find some family photos to post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am asking anyone reading this to to register your local Memorial Day Event at VetFriends.com. They have a NATIONWIDE Memorial Day Event directory and it could garner more attendees in the area as VetFriends.com has a member enrollment of 858,000 Veterans! Have a great Memorial Day weekend and thank you for your remembrance!
Here is the link http://www.vetfriends.com/Memorial_Day_Parade/index.cfm