Sunday, February 08, 2015

Spiritual Sunday: A Beautiful Sunday Afternoon

Jamal (Beauty), 2 Mulk (Dominion), 171 BE - Sunday, February 8, 2015 about 12:13 pm Pacific Standard Time

It is a beautiful Sunday afternoon here in Las Vegas. The birds are singing, the sun is shining, and the sky is a cloudless blue. It sort of reminds me of Sunday in Oklahoma. I remember when Grandpa Frank and Grandma Mary took us to church on Sunday morning and then in the afternoon we would play outdoors. Grandma always fixed fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, creamed peas or spinach, and homemade apple or cherry pie with ice cream for desert. I loved Grandma's creamed spinach and homemade pies.

I remember that on Sunday morning we would attend Sunday school classes and then church services. I enjoyed singing in the choir. Grandpa Frank always smiled when he saw one of my siblings or me singing. This morning, I was on YouTube listening to different renditions of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". The memory of singing that song came back and I had to smile because I know that my singing voice could never do justice to it, but I like to sing it anyway. I always sing it enthusiastically, which may have been one of the reason I made the choir.

I have not been back to Blackwell, Oklahoma since I left years ago. I used to want to go back and visit, but now I am not sure. I would compare the city the way it is now with the way I remember it. I know if I did that I would be disappointed because the city, like myself, has changed. I am 68 years old and I no longer practice the same religion I did when I was in Blackwell. I still enjoy hearing the songs I sang in church, but I am no longer Southern Baptist.

No comments: