Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Midweek Reflections: On Late Winter in Las Vegas

Idal (Justice), 5 Mulk (Dominion), 171 BE - Wednesday, February 11, 2015 about 4:50 pm Pacific Standard Time

It doesn't feel like winter in Las Vegas. The temperature today was in the low seventies with scattered clouds. When I went to the grocery store about 10:30 am I wore a light sweater over my dress. I don't think I needed the sweater outside, but I did in the grocery store. It gets a bit nippy in the store especially in the frozen food department. I purchased some frozen berries to go with my breakfast or to eat as a snack.

I looked for some fresh okra or frozen okra, but the store I went to didn't have either. I will have to go to another store further south on Maryland Parkway to get the frozen okra. Maybe I will check at the Mexican supermarket to see if they have fresh okra. I prefer fresh okra, but the fresh frozen works just as well when frying and it's a bit cheaper then the fresh okra. I don't think I will go tomorrow, but you never know.

It is late winter here in Las Vegas, but it feels like early spring or fall. That is why I thought about purchasing okra. When I eat fried okra it reminds me of Oklahoma. My grandfather always planted okra in his garden. My grandmother would fix fried okra as long as we could pick it. I don't remember her canning the okra so I don't purchase canned okra. I can fix the fresh or fresh frozen okra easier, even when I don't fry it, then the canned okra.

I am enjoying the springlike weather here. I just hope it doesn't suddenly get cold because I h ave not turned on the warm air in about seven or eight days. I like it when I don't have to turn on the warm or cold air because I can have the door open most of the day without it getting either too hot or too cold in my apartment.

No comments: