Sunday, April 01, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Potato Microwave Casserole


Jamál (Beauty), 11 Bahá (Splendor), 169 BE – Sunday, April 1, 2012 about 7:10 AM Pacific Time

Potato Microwave Casserole

Ingredients:

4 small to medium potatoes quartered.
1 12.5 oz. can fully cooked chunked chicken packed in water drained or undrained
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes drained or undrained

Preparation:

Step 1: Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into quarters.

Step 2: Place potatoes into medium to large microwave safe casserole dish with a lid.

Step 3: Cook potatoes 5 minutes and then test to determine if cooked through. You do not want to overcook the potatoes, but you do want them almost completely done before adding the rest of the ingredients. If necessary, cook the potatoes another 5 minutes and test again. You should be able to stick a fork into them without any difficulty.

Step 4: Open the 14.5 oz. can of tomatoes and pour them over the top of the potatoes. If you want to drain the tomatoes, you can. Sometimes I drain them and sometimes I pour the undrained tomatoes into the casserole.

Step 5: Open the 12.5 oz. can of chicken and pour it on top of the other ingredients. Again, if you want to drain the chicken before adding it to the other ingredients you can. As before, sometimes I drain the chicken and sometimes I do not. It depends on whether or not I am planning to add the liquid to leftovers in the coming week.

Step 6: Place the lid back on the casserole and then place the casserole in the microwave for another 5 minutes.

Serving Suggestions:

This is a main dish; therefore, you may serve it with whatever you like. I suggest a couple of dashes of hot sauce if you want it spicy. You can either add the hot sauce before or after you cook the casserole.

Number of people served:

I suspect this will serve about four people. Since I cook for only my mother and myself, I am never sure precisely how many people a recipe will serve because this usually depends on what you serve with the dish and how hungry the people are who eat. Sometime I serve other things with this dish and sometimes it is the only thing I serve, except desert or some type of fruit.

No comments: