Monday, February 02, 2009

Whatever happened to Old Paint

Kamál (Perfection), 15 Sultán (Sovereignty), 165 BE – Monday, February 2, 2009 about 3:17 PM Pacific Time

I remember a wooden rocking horse from my childhood. The rocking horse was painted white with black spots, like those you see on Pintos (the horse not the car or beans). The name of the horse was Old Paint. All right, I have to admit that the name wasn't very creative, but riding the horse was fun.

Old paint was a shared rocking horse, handed down from one child to the next. I don't know what happened to him. It was a long time ago and a lot has happened since I left Blackwell, Oklahoma. I don't know whether we just rode the rocking horse until it broke and it was tossed in the trash or we gave the rocking horse away.

Some people save all the toys from their childhood. They put the toys in attics or in basements and then give the toys to their grandchildren or great grandchildren. I don't have any of the toys from my childhood, except in my memories. In the process of moving from place to place, most of the toys were either lost or given away.

I still have the memories of my toys, of my grandparents, and even a few memories of my father. The memories remain, while the toys themselves are lost somewhere in the past and the people have passed on into the next world. However, I still wonder "Whatever happened to Old Paint?"

No comments: