Sunday, February 01, 2009

Rhubarb Pie and Ice Cream

Jamál (Beauty), 14 Sultán (Sovereignty), 165 BE – Sunday, January February 1, 2009 about 9:37 AM Pacific Time

Mom and I had rhubarb pie and ice cream for breakfast today. We went to Marie Callender's on Friday and bought a whole pie. Yesterday I went to Food 4 Less and bought some vanilla ice cream.

I have to admit that my grandmother might not approve of this morning's breakfast. When I was growing up, pie and ice cream were dinner desert items rather then a breakfast. However, I'm 62 and I don't eat the traditional breakfast anymore. Breakfast is usually whatever I have leftover in the fridge.

My grandmother made good rhubarb pie and she taught me how to make it. I don't make pies any more. It's much easier for me to go to Marie Callender's and buy a pie then make one at home. True I don't always get rhubarb pie, which is one my favorite pies. My other favorite pies are chocolate and banana (in that order).

It's nice to be able to go to a restaurant buy a whole pie and bring it home. I like to get Marie Calender pies because the taste like the pies my grandmother made when I was a child. I remember my grandmother's pies fondly, especially her rhubarb pies.

Grandma made rhubarb pie from the rhubarb she grew in her own garden. I always looked forward to harvest time in Oklahoma because I knew that Grandma would be making rhubarb pie. Now that I’m an adult I can have a slice of rhubarb pie anytime I want. All I have to do is go to the nearest Marie Callender’s Restaurant.

No comments: