Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Remembering New Year Celebrations with my Grandparents

‘Idál (Justice), 1 Sharaf (Honor), 165 BE – Wednesday, December 31, 2008 about 9:20 AM Pacific Time

I don't know how my Grandma and Grandpa Newland, celebrated New Year before the advent of television. I remember them having a T.V. in the living room when I was very young. Grandpa always bought the newest forms of technology when they came on the market. Therefore, he always had a T.V. in the living room when I was a child.

On New Year's Eve, we would stay up and watch specials that celebrated the arrival of the New Year. My siblings and myself didn't have to go to school the next day, so we could stay up late on New Year's Eve. I know sometimes Grandpa had to work the next day, but my memories of New Year's Eve always have him in them.

The shows we watched were variety show, all filmed before a live audience. Whether the shows were live when we looked at them, I don't know. As a child, I lived in Blackwell, Oklahoma, in Middle America and most of the shows were filmed on either the East Coast or the West Coast, so I doubt that they were live, but I don't know.

Young children don't worry about whether or not a show is live or canned. A child is more interested in the T.V. show then the technology behind it. Only after a certain age do most children become interested in the technology.

I enjoyed the dancers and singers. They wore such beautiful cloths, I always wanted to have dress like the female singers on those shows.

No comments: