Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Season is an Interesting time to get new dentures

Jalál (Glory), 2 Masa’il (Questions), 165 BE – Saturday, December 13, 2008 about 8:22 AM Pacific Time

Christmas season is an interesting time to get new dentures. Last Tuesday, the dentist pulled all my upper teeth and put in a new plate. He put some stitches in and those are still there, so I have to be careful about putting any thing on the dentures to hold them in my mouth when I'm eating.

I don't celebrate Christmas, so you wouldn't think there would be a problem. However, people do give me candy and this year I've received more candy then in previous years. I have peanut brittle and chocolate covered pretzels in the fridge. I have chocolate candy, which isn't a problem since I can eat with hot coffee. The coffee melts the chocolate and I don't have to chew it.

The chocolate covered pretzels aren't a problem either, since I can dunk them in the coffee. The peanut brittle is going to be difficult perhaps even impossible for me to eat until after my gums heal the the stitches come out. I'm going to have to save that until after the New Year or give all the peanut brittle to Mom. She has dentures, but doesn't have the problem with her gums healing.

I have another appointment with the dentist on Friday, December 19, for him to check the progress of the healing. I'll know how well the gums have healed by then, in the mean time I'm just going to have to be careful and rinse my mouth out with salt water after I eat. I'll also brush my plate then as well, which will take care of any food particles under the dentures.

No comments: