Saturday, September 27, 2014

To Subscribe or Not to Subscribe That is the Question

Jalal (Glory), 1 Mashíyyat (Will), 171 BE - Saturday, September 27, 2014 about 1:28 pm Pacific Daylight Time

Do I want to subscribe to a daily newspaper? This is the question I have asked myself over the past few days.  The question arose when I went into the grocery store last Saturday to purchase some much needed items. When I went into the store a couple of guys from the local paper were selling subscriptions. I said I had to think about it because I did not have the money in my checking account.

I went back into the store yesterday to pick up two prescriptions and buy some bread and turkey burgers. I had the money in my account this time because I transferred some cash from my savings to my checking for the prescriptions. I purchase the prescriptions and then took my SNAP to purchase the turkey burgers and some think bagels for a turkey burger sandwich. Before I go back into the store this coming week, I have to decide whether or not I want to have the local newspaper delivered to my front door.

There are advantages and disadvantages to taking a local newspaper. One of the disadvantages is the cost. This is a special offer to get subscriptions so the subscription cost will increase after six weeks. Can I afford the increase in cost? Another disadvantage is that I live in an apartment, which means there is no recycling. The newspaper would go into the dumpster with the rest of the trash and then into a landfill. That, in itself. os a good reason not to take a daily paper.

One of the advantage is that I would have something to read with my coffee of a morning. Another is the Sunday comics, which I always enjoy reading. Do these advantages outweigh the disadvantages? I can access the comics online. I can drink my coffee while I am reading the comics or reviewing on writing.com. I can get the local, national, and international news online. Is there any other reason for me to subscribe to a newspaper that is not online?



No comments: