Monday, September 22, 2014

Meditation Monday: Practicing the Sacred

Kamal (Perfection), 15 ‘Izzat (Might), 171 BE - Monday, September 22, 2014 about 7:57 am Pacific Time

Just as you wouldn't leave the house without taking a shower, you shouldn't start the day without at least 10 minutes of sacred practice: prayer, meditation, inspirational reading.
Marianne Williamson

 This morning in the predawn hours I opened my front door and I looked into the darkness. I listened to the voice of the the city mumbling to itself. I watched  the morning advance form darkness to light, from night to day. I thought how pleasant and cool morning is before the sun  rises above Sunrise Mountain.

As I inhaled the morning coolness, I recited a prayer revealed by Baha'u'llah. Waiting for the neighborhood rooster to crow, I meditated upon the sound of Las Vegas. The voice of the city is never still, no matter what time of day I open my door to look out and listen the voices is always mumbling or whispering about something. The voice is never quiet. Las Vegas is never still. Las Vegas never sleeps. Las Vegas does not take the time to practice a refreshing ten minutes of sacred time.

As I listened to the city, I realized that sometimes I follow Las Vegas' example. Sometimes I rush through my morning without stopping to breath in the sacred. However, this morning was different because I took the time to pray. I took the time to meditate. I took the time to listen to the still small voice of my muse. Now I am taking the time to listen to a bird chirping in the cool late summer air of Las Vegas.

I pause my writing to listen to the bird. I look out my open front door and I see the deep shadows cast by the rising sun as it ascends over one of the cities the never sleeps. I take a deep breath and then I pick up my copy of Remembrance of God, which lays next to my computer keyboard. I open the book and I read a paragraph about meditating upon the verses revealed by God. I smile and then return to my writing knowing that the day will progress smoothly because I have taken time to practice the sacred.


No comments: